Having my very own home is something I’ve dreamt about for a long time. I couldn’t wait to make a space completely mine and finally feel like “home” here in Dallas. A few months back, Ben and I decided to take the plunge and look for a house we could make our own. The housing market in Dallas is a funny thing, you must be ready to make a decision. And be ready to make it fast!
We were lucky to find the perfect house for us. Two short weeks ago, I was able to finally move in and make it our home! Buying a house in your twenties is exciting and terrifying all at the same time. But luckily we had the right people on our side to make the process an easy transition. Now if only someone could teach me how to garden!
For those of you starting to think about purchasing your first home, I’ve rounded up a few tips of advice as you embark on this journey to find the one!
5 Tips For Buying Your First Home
- Hire a Realtor®!
- You might think you can find the perfect house all on your own, but finding the ideal house for you and your family can take a lot of time and effort! Not only will a Realtor® give you first-access and insights into available houses on the market, but they will be your confidante and advocate throughout the whole process. From personal experience, I loved how the Realtor® we worked with knew all the right questions to ask! Don’t have a Realtor®? No problem! Find one at http://realtor.com/GetRealtor!
- Determine your budget.
- It’s smart to determine how much you can afford well before you decide to look into buying a home. Make sure you know exactly how much you are willing to budge and make sure the Realtor® knows to stay within a price range that is comfortable for you. There is no use in looking at a house well out of your price range!
- Be ready to negotiate!
- There will always be room for negotiation. Make sure you hire a Realtor® that is willing to negotiate on your behalf and get you exactly what you deserve!
- Have an open mind.
- When looking for houses, make sure you have an open mind. While location is the number one priority, don’t let yourself lose a good deal for cosmetic reasons that can easily be fixed with a little elbow grease.
- Sign and Celebrate!
- Once you’ve found the one, make sure to take time to celebrate your new adventure! There is nothing more exhilarating, and slightly terrifying at the same time, than knowing you bought your first home. Remember that feeling and celebrate all the exciting memories your future will hold in this new home!
I’m looking forward to sharing this new journey with you! Stay tuned for a LOT more home related posts coming soon!
Thank you to the National Association of Realtors® for partnering with me for this post!